Church of St. Nazaro and Celso in Bellano

Piazza S. Giorgio, 7, Bellano, LC, Italia
Church of St. Nazaro and Celso in Bellano

Description

The parish church of Bellano , of St. Nazaro and Celso , is situated inside the village, near the Gorge entrance.

In 1341 , when the church was dedicated to St. George , the building was destroyed by a flood of Pioverna creek and then it was rebuilt.

So , in XIV century the new church was dedicated to St. Nazaro and Celso.

The building has a late Romanesque style , its façade hosts a big rose window and a tabernacle with a marble statue that represents St. Ambrogio. On the central arch you can admire amazing frescos dated 15th – 16th century , two confessionals made in wood and the baptistery in marble.

During the centuries the three aisles inside part was renovated few times : the sacristy and the bell tower , for example , were built in 1567.

The importance of the church is also dues to the precious late gothic processional cross and to the rich collection of ancient liturgical objects.

 

Photos by Parrocchia di Bellano, Lombardia Beni Culturali and from the website Mapio.net

Commenti
Summary
Church of St. Nazaro and Celso in Bellano
Article Name
Church of St. Nazaro and Celso in Bellano
Description
The parish church of Bellano , of St. Nazaro and Celso , is situated inside the village, near the Gorge entrance. In 1341 , when the church was dedicated to St. George , the building was destroyed by a flood of Pioverna creek and then it was rebuilt. So , in XIV century the new church was dedicated to St. Nazaro and Celso. The building has a late Romanesque style , its façade hosts a big rose window and a tabernacle with a marble statue that represents St. Ambrogio. On the central arch you can admire amazing frescos dated 15th - 16th century , two confessionals made in wood and the baptistery in marble.
Author
Publisher Name
Montagne del Lago di Como
Publisher Logo

Next events

There are no scheduled events