The Civic Museum Setificio Monti is a museum about the history of silk. Its venue is in Abbadia Lariana in the premises of a former factory of the nineteenth century.
The textile mill was founded around 1818 by Pietro Monti a silk manufacturer who came to Abbadia from the southern area of Milan. It was then enlarged and modernized and it remained active until 1934. After a long period of decline in 1978 both buildings, the spinning mill and the spinner, were purchased by the municipality of Abbadia and converted into a museum, inaugurated in 1998.
The Museum is housed in the two buildings of the Monti complex (the 1818 spinner and the 1869 spinning mill).
Tours of the Civic Museum are on:
- Wednesdays from 2.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Fridays from 2.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Saturdays and Sunday 10.00 a.m. to 13.00 p.m and from 2.00 p.m to 6 pm.
- Opening upon appointments are possible. Bookings can be made by calling the following 0341-731241 or 0341-700381.
- For groups larger then 15 people and for schools reservation is compulsory. Booking can be made through a form to be downloaded.
- Visitors will be accompanied by qualified staff to meet any requests for infos to study the topic in need.
- Adults: 5,00 EUR
- Kids and Seniors: (up to 14 years, over 65 years) 3,00 EUR
- Kids and Seniors Special: (Groups and schools from 15 people) 3,00 EUR
- Free: up to 14 years, over 65, schools and groups of at least 15 people, residents of Abbadia Lariana, Fai Members, Museum Subscriptions
Discover the Civic Museum of the Silk Abegg