Piani di Artavaggio is a renown mountain destination in Valsassina, located between 1600 and 1900 m.a.s.l. in the municipality of Moggio, with a beautiful view over over the Lake Como mountains.
It is a very popular destination in all seasons, due to several recreation opportunities in nature and the numerous routes for hiking both in summer and winter.
It is easily accessible from Moggio by cable car or on foot. It is also a ski resort ideal for children and beginners, with magic carpets which in summer turn into fun slides for tubing.
In summer it’a ideal for family relaxation, with picnic in the meadows and walks to the pastures in contact with nature.
At Piani di Artavaggio several mountains huts like Rifugio Nicola are available, offering a good base for an overnight stay at altitude and a place to taste traditional mountain food.
Among the most popular routes for hiking and mountain biking, there are those going to Mount Sodadura, overlooking the Piani with its chatacteristic pyramid shape, and the various ways leading to Piani di Bobbio. Some of these paths can also be walked with snowshoes and ski touring.
Is possible to reach Piani di Artavaggio also on foot:
- From Moggio to Piani di Artavaggio through the Culmine of San Pietro: easy, 2 hours and 45 minutes
- From Moggio to Baita Faggio at Piani di Artavaggio: easy, 2 hours and 15 minutes
Form here start different trekking and mountainbike itineraries:
- From Piani di Artavaggio to Rifugio Gherardi: easy , 1 hour and 30 minutes
- From Piani di Artavaggio to Piani di Bobbio through Forcellino: easy , 3 hours
- From Piani di Artavaggio to Piani di Bobbio through the “stradini” path: challenging , 2 hours and 15 minutes
- From Piani di Artavaggio to Monte Sodadura: easy , 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Campelli loop – trail , from Piani di Artavaggio to Piani di Bobbio : difficult , about 3 hours