St. Giorgio church is located in Mandello del Lario, built on a flatland overlooking the San Giorgio Rock, along the Sentiero del Viandante.
It has ancient origins: the church is probably an upper medieval foundation. St. Giorgio Church has always been considered as the church of Crebbio, now part of Abbadia Lariana, as such carried on for centuries the cemetery function.
It has a very essential architecture, similar to the other medieval temples of Lake Como. Particularly enchanting the interior for the rare cycle of frescoes, covering a large part of the walls, the triumphal arch and the bottom of the presbytery.
These frescoes dating in the years between 1475 and 1485.
Opening days and hours: every Sunday from 10:00 to 12.00.
For extraordinary visits call the ProLoco of Mandello del Lario.
Photos by Alberto Locatelli