Vezio Castle stands on a promontory at the bottom of Val d’Esino, overlooking the village of Varenna, one of the most popular tourist destination on Lake Como.
It has ancient origins: it used to be a Roman fort in the fifth century, then developed around a crenellated tower with a square base, from where a well preserved drawbridge is still visible. The walls have three open towers and high walls, surrounded by green vegetation typical of the lake, with beautiful views over the surrounding mountains. The legend tells that the construction of the castle took place after the will of Queen Teodolinda from the Langobards tribe who spent in these areas the final years of her life.
Vezio Castle hosts a falconry and a health and training center for birds of prey, and in the garden are organised show recalling the atmosphere of the past, among falcons and falconers. In the Vezio Castle tower is possible to visit the permanent exhibition about Lariosauro, the ancient reptile that lived in the lake, with casts of the various speciments found in the surrounding area.
Opening dates and hours 2020:
- March: from Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- April and May: from Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- June, July and August: from Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- September: from Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- October: from Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Closed in bad weather
- Animals are not permetted
For regulations anti Covid mask and distance are mandatory. Sunday entry quota to 50 people max. Falconry demonstrations are still prohibited at the moment.
- Whole: 4,00 euro
- Children up to 6 years not celebrated (with adult paying): free
- Children ( from 7 to 12 years old with adult paying): 2,00 euro
- Groups (above 12 people): 3,00 euro
- Senior citizen (above 65 years old): 3,00 euro
- Military: 3,00 euro
- Member of Touring Club: 3,00 euro
- Menber of CAI: 3,00 euro
- University students: 3,00 euro
- Residents in Varenna and Perledo: free
- Disabled with companion: free
Are organised also school visits with the chance to book the falconry laboratory. For informations contact the Centro Unico Prenotazioni of Montagne Lago di Como.
To reach the castle by car: walk along the way SP72 of Lario Orientale. Arriving to Varenna, turn to Varenna center and cross the village. To the bridge turn on the right to Esino Lario and, after few hairpins, turn to the right to Vezio/Vezio Castle. Continue till the end of the carriage way and park in the large upstairs parking.
The Vezio Castle is reachable also on foot through a beautiful trekking during 20 minutes with departure form the railway station ao Varenna, or by the Wanderer’s Trail foothpath ( Sentiero del Viandante ) that starts from Bellano and Lierna.