Vezio Castle stands on a promontory at the bottom of Val d’Esino, overlooking the village of Varenna, one of the most popular tourist destination on Lake Como.
It has ancient origins: it used to be a Roman fort in the fifth century, then developed around a crenellated tower with a square base, from where a well preserved drawbridge is still visible. The walls have three open towers and high walls, surrounded by green vegetation typical of the lake, with beautiful views over the surrounding mountains. The legend tells that the construction of the castle took place after the will of Queen Teodolinda from the Langobards tribe who spent in these areas the final years of her life.
Vezio Castle hosts a falconry and a health and training center for birds of prey, and in the garden are organised show recalling the atmosphere of the past, among falcons and falconers. In the Vezio Castle tower is possible to visit the permanent exhibition about Lariosauro, the ancient reptile that lived in the lake, with casts of the various speciments found in the surrounding area.
Opening dates and hours 2023, season starting from 1st March:
- MARCH: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- APRIL: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- MAY: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- JUNE: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- JULY: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- AUGUST: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- SEPTEMBER: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- OCTOBER: Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. ; Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY: open Saturadays and Sundays in good weather 10 a.m. – 5 p.m
- Last entrance 30 minutes before closing time
- CLOSED DURING BAD WEATHER
- NO PETS ALLOWED
- ADULTS: € 5.00
- REDUCTIONS: € 3.00 (Over 65 years, Groups over 12 people, Students aged 7 to 18)
- FREE: – Residents in the municipalities of Varenna and Perledo, Disabled with companion, Children up to 6 years
We organise school trips with the chance to book the falconry laboratory. For informations contact the Centro Unico Prenotazioni of Montagne Lago di Como.
To reach the castle by car: walk along the way SP72 of Lario Orientale. Arriving to Varenna, turn to Varenna center and cross the village. To the bridge turn on the right to Esino Lario and, after few hairpins, turn to the right to Vezio/Vezio Castle. Continue till the end of the carriage way and park in the large upstairs parking.
The Vezio Castle is reachable also on foot through a beautiful trekking during 20 minutes with departure form the railway station ao Varenna, or by the Wanderer’s Trail foothpath ( Sentiero del Viandante ) that starts from Bellano and Lierna.