Pian delle Betulle (mt 1501) is a mountain destination in Alta Valsassina, nowadays still inhabited all year round by a small group of residents, who can reach it via cable car from the village of Margno. Here in fact cars cannot arrive: is possible to get here only by cable car or on foot from Alpe di Paglio, from Margno and from Crandola.
Over the years it has earned the nickname of Last Paradise: an isolated and quiet place, where nature is respected and preserved, with an alpine lake, the Alpinis’ church and the small houses harmoniously integrated within the landscape.
Surrounded by beech and birch woods and dominated by Monte Cimone, it is popular among tourists and hikers all year round. Splendid are the views over Lake Como and Lake Lugano and further up over the Monte Rosa mountain range.
Here there is Albergo Baitock, with a very goog restaurant nearby the church with his typical dishes of mountain cuisine.
In spring and summer it is the perfect place for families’ relaxation, who can lay on the green meadows, walk to discover the small pastures or enjoy the adventure park on the trees, named Jungle Raider Park. For sportsmen it is the starting point for trekking and mountain biking of various difficulty and length.
In winter it is a popular resort, with ski school, ski rental and it also offers the opportunity to practice snowshoeing and ski touring.
Cable car information from Margno to Pian delle Betulle at website www.pianidibobbio.com.
Trekking and mountain bike trails:
- From Pian delle Betulle to Val Biandino: easy, 2 ½ hours
- From Pian delle Betulle to Lares Brusaa: easy, 1 hour
- The pastures of Pian delle Betulle (Alpe Ortighera and Alpe Oro): easy, 20 minuts
- From Alpe di Paglio to Pian delle Betulle: easy, 15 minuts
- From Margno to Pian delle Betulle: easy, 1 ½ hour
- From Crandola to Pian delle Betulle: easy, 1 ½ hour
- From Pian delle Betulle to Alpe Grasso and Alpe Piazza: easy, 30 minuts
- From Pian delle Betulle to Santa Rita Mountain Hut: easy, 3 ½ hours
The first weekend of September there is the traditional Alpine Feast at the Votive Church, organized by the ANA section of Lecco, an opportunity that can not be missed!