Villa Monastero, a property of the Province of Lecco, is one of the most interesting attractions of our territory thanks to its strategic location, its history, its landscape, its environment and for the different services which it can offer.
The House Museum, the historical and noble residence, is at its core: in the year 2004 Villa Monastero was given the title of “Casa Museo” by the Lombardy Region and since then its fourteen rooms can be visited following a charming itinerary, where a vast number of objects belonging to its several owners are displayed. The 14 rooms of the house are completely furnished. All of them, from the Pool Hall to the Music Hall, from the Mornico Parlour to the Main Room, offer visitors the opportunities to go back to the past through the various styles, the precious materials and the luxurious decorations. Style and taste characterise this unique jewel that has been shining on the Lake Como for four centuries. In the 18th century, Italian and foreign prominent personalities of the cultural and artistic scene frequented the Villa, which was then inhabited.
Villa Monastero is also an international Conference Centre where, in the year 1954, the Nobel prize winner Enrico Fermi held some lessons. The Villa offers rooms and facilities to hold meetings, conferences, seminars, training activities, workshops and cultural events in an unforgettable, beautiful setting. Every year the Italian Society of Physics organizes its prestigious courses at the Villa Monastero.
The Villa is surrounded by a spectacular and fascinating botanical Garden which extends for two kilometres from Varenna to Fiumelatte; offering recreation and learning opportunities thanks to the presence of many botanical species, both indigenous and exotic. The Garden, being set up in terraces, has been structured in different patterns over the years yet maintaining a main recurring theme. The mild climate, peculiar to the lake, allows numerous botanic species from all over the world to grow. At every time of the year visitors can enjoy a true explosion of colours, shapes and perfumes.
The beauty of Villa Monastero’s background is the ideal setting for a wedding location and for photographic shootings both for fashion columns and for touristic magazines.
In the Villa you can also find an Exhibition room specifically equipped to house temporary exhibitions of painting, sculpture, photography, art objects. The artists have at their disposal two spacious rooms with large windows, lake view and a direct access to the Garden. It is equipped with lighting facilities and on the walls there are special devices to hang the art works.
OPENING TIMES 2023
The botanical garden of Villa Monastero will open on 1 April 2023, while the House Museum is currently closed to the public due to restoration of the Villa. As soon as possible we will indicate the opening date of the Villa.
- April and May: Museum from Tuesday till Sunday from 0.30am to 7.30pm. Garden every day from 9.30am to 7.30pm
- June, July and August: Museum and Garden every day from 9.30am to 8pm
- September: Museum from Tuesday to Sunday from 9.30am to 7.30pm. Garden every day from 9.30am to 7.30pm
- October and 1st November: Museum from Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm. Garden every day from 10am to 6pm
- Novembre: House Museum: 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26 from 10 am to 5 pm. Botanic Garden: 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26 from 10 am to 5 pm.
- December: House Museum: from 2 to 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, from 26 to 31: from 10 am to 5 pm. Botanic Garden: from 2 to 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, from 26 to 31: from 10 am to 5 pm
Entrance to the Botanical Garden and the House Museum 2023
- Full price: € 13,00
- Reduced price: € 9,00 for people over 65 years old, groups of more than 20 people, members of Touring Club Italiano, FAI members, ICOM members.
- € 7.00 for young people aged from 15 to 25.
- Access to the House Museum in the closing days: € 20.00 per person (minimum 40 people)
- Free for children from 0 to 14 years old, disabled people and one companion, participants in educational courses and institutional visits approved by the Provincia di Lecco. Free for licensed tourist guides and environmental hiking guides when accompanying a group. Free for 1 group leader every 20 paying visitors.
- School groups: free for teachers accompanying pupils.
- Educational activities: € 100.00 per class for half-day educational activities (€ 80.00 for schools in the province of Lecco); € 170.00 per class for one-day educational activities (€ 150.00 for schools in the province of Lecco)
- Cumulative ticket with Villa Cipressi Botanic Garden (It can be purchased only on the opening days of Villa Cipressi garden): € 22,00 full price; € 15,00 reduced for people over 65, groups of more than 20 people, members of Touring Club Italiano, FAI members and ICOM members; € 11,00 reduced for children from 15 to 25 years old. Free for children from 0 to 14 years old
The ticket office will close 45 minutes before the closing time of the Villa.
Tickets for the Botanic Garden and the House Museum can be purchased online through Vivaticket.
Access to the Botanic Garden and the House Museum is allowed to individuals and families without prior booking.
Access to the Botanic Garden and House Museum for small groups by prior arrangement (in the House Museum groups of a maximum of 25 people).
To book visits for groups, please write to email@example.com at least 3 days before the visit.
Due to renovation work at Villa Monastero, bookings for group visits can only be accepted for visits scheduled from the end of May 2023.