Fuentes Fort is a Spanish fort of the seventeenth century built by Pedro Enriquez de Acevedo count of Fuentes with the aim to prevent any ambition of expansion from the Tre Leghe Grigie republic (modern region of the Swiss Grisons). The republic intended to broaden its dominance from Valtellina and from Valchiavenna to the upper part of Lake Como.
Built above eastern Montecchio high overlooking the natural reserve of Pian di Spagna, it is one of the few remaining examples of the Spanish domination described by Manzoni in his novel “The Betrothed”. It was the count of Fuentes who issued many of the “Grida” (the laws) which are discussed in the novel.
It was destroyed in 1796 by Napoleon’s troops.
The Fuentes Fort , alongside Montecchio North Fort , is a step of Forts’ Trail in Colico.
Fuentes Fort is in Via Forte di Fuentes 29 and it is open from 10am till 5pm on saturday and sunday. The fort is open every day in july, august and half september. The visits are free, with information points in italian, french, english and german.
For informations about visits, contact the Centro Unico Prenotazioni di Montagne Lago di Como.